Ophthalmic Ultrasound System
Quantel Medical offers the Compact Touch, a three-in-one ultrasound system that provides a 10MHz B-scan of the globe and orbit, as well as options to perform biometry and pachymetry. Its image quality makes it possible to distinguish globe and orbit structures and to perform a detailed diagnosis of several pathologies, including cataract, opacity of the vitreous and retinal detachment, the company says.
The Compact Touch also offers automatic axial length measurements using a B-scan image, which can be helpful in cases of advanced myopia or staphyloma. The biometry option allows practitioners to measure axial length behind an opaque area (e.g., cataract). The device’s pachymetry capability measures corneal thickness to an accuracy of ±5µm and includes intraocular pressure and corneal thickness correlation tables.
This compact, portable ophthalmic ultrasound system comes with a carrying case, a foot pedal for easier measurement and a mouse.
Topcon recently released its newest computerized lensmeter, the CL-300, with several added features—including a new UV transmittance measurement function that the company says provides reliable results for eyeglasses and sunglasses in the range of 0% to 100%. It also provides automatic detection for single and progressive lenses and offers improved lens support.
Available in two models, the CL-300P and the CL-300PDL (allowing PD measurements), the CL-300 has a fast, easy-to-load printer and a large 5.7-inch monitor. It can easily be connected to the Topcon CV-5000S Computerized Vision Tester and to electronic medical record systems.
Vizera Anti-Reflective Coating
Ophthonix has upgraded its entire iZon lens portfolio to feature a new anti-reflective coating, Vizera. It provides the same high level of clarity and glare reduction as the standard AR coating previously used on all iZon lenses, but with a higher Bayer value and superior abrasion-resistance, the manufacturer says.
This increased protection from glare and scratches helps the lenses remain as clear as possible, increasing longevity and reducing the impact on clarity, the company says.
Who Is Your Insurance
A new website,
www.whoisyourinsurance.com, can instantly provide your office manager or administrator with a patient’s vision care insurance information, even if the patient is unsure of his or her vision insurance carrier. The site instantly searches all insurance carriers simultaneously from one place instead of visiting each carrier’s website.
Employees do not need to know the office’s insurance carrier account credentials, and the site tracks which employees are searching and what they are searching for. The website integrates easily with practice management software.
Valentino Fall/Winter Men’s Eyewear Collection
The Valentino fall/winter 2013 men’s eyewear collection features iconic shapes and classic styles with a contemporary edge.
- Rockstud (V106S): Two tiny metal studs anchor the temples on these aviator lenses. The double bridge is another distinctive element of this classic frame with large gradient lenses.
- V Logo (V105S): Gradient lenses are encapsulated in this large, square enameled metal frame. A fine silver line runs around the entire lens to add a touch of light, and the iconic “V” is engraved on the temple.
- Rockstud (V631S): This square acetate style has a simple masculine frame front that contrasts with the embellished temples—a metal “V” forms the hinge and four studs run along its length.
Maui Jim On the Water Sunglass Collection
Maui Jim will launch seven new sunglass styles throughout 2012, adding to its On the Water sunglass collection. The complete collection will feature 27 sunglasses for men and women, ranging from $219 to $309. Three new unisex styles were recently added:
- Dorado (Style #259): Maui Evolution lenses with PolarizedPlus2 technology are designed for active water sports. Dorado comes in: matte black with Maui HT lenses; root beer with HCL bronze lenses; and translucent dark gray with neutral gray lenses. This style is available with MauiPassport prescription lenses in powers from +3.00 to -2.50.
- Nine Palms (Style #255): Nine Palms offers large, full-frame coverage with scratch- and impact-resistant Maui Evolution lenses. This style comes in: matte black with Maui HT lenses; root beer with HCL bronze lenses; and translucent dark gray with neutral gray lenses. It’s available with MauiPassport prescription lenses in powers from +3.00 to -2.50.
- Surf Rider (Style #261): This midsize, full-frame nylon style is designed to go from the boat to the surfboard to the beach. These sunglasses have ultra-clear SuperThin Glass lenses. Surf Rider comes in: black with blue interior and neutral gray lenses; black stripe with neutral gray lenses; and tortoise with HCL bronze lenses for variable light conditions. It’s available with MauiPassport prescription lenses in powers from +3.00 to -3.50.